Carers and employment – facts and figures:
- 3 million people combine caring for a loved one with paid work.
- Every year, over 2 million people become carers, some overnight, some more gradually – so there is a new population of carers in the workforce every day.
- Carers make up 11% of the total UK workforce, 1 in every 9 employees.
- Eight out of ten carers are of working age, ie aged between 16 and 65.
- 90% of working carers are aged 30+ - in their prime employment years.
- Each year over 2 million people have given up work at some point to care and 3 million have reduced working hours.
For a more in depth breakdown of carer demographics, you can download the policy briefing below.