Carer Confident has three levels designed to support you throughout your journey towards building a positive and inclusive workplace for all staff who are, or who will become, carers.
The three levels of the Carer Confident scheme are:
Level 1: Active in addressing carer support
To achieve Level 1 you will be able to show that your organisation:
- Is aware that there are, and will in the future be carers in your workforce and has made a commitment to support them through workplace policies/practice.
- Understands and complies with the legal rights of carers in the workplace.
- Helps staff to recognise themselves as carers and access practical support in the workplace to assist them to combine their work and caring responsibilities.
Level 2: Accomplished in providing carer support
To achieve Level 2 you will be able to show that your organisation:
- Has a process/support in place to help carers identify themselves in the workplace.
- Includes carers in the development of policies/guidance and processes to support carers within the workplace.
- Has well documented policies and/or guidance in place which cover caring/carers.
- Provides a range of practical support for carers in the workplace.
- Communicates support available for carers throughout the organisation.
- Enables carers to feel comfortable in accessing available support both from within and outside the organisation.
Level 3: Ambassador for carer support both internally and externally
To achieve Level 3 you will be able to show that your organisation:
- Demonstrates creative and innovative approaches to supporting and engaging carers as part of an open and positive workplace culture.
- Involves carers in the development of policies/guidance and processes to support carers within the workplace.
- Provides a wide range of information and support for carers at all stages of their caring journey.
- Supports carers at all stages of employment, from recruitment to returning to, or leaving the workplace (e.g. flexible retirement opportunities in the later stages of their career).
- Enables and encourages carers to take up practical support both from within and outside the organisation.
- Equips managers to support and retain carers effectively.
- Actively and regularly communicates and promotes caring issues/carers throughout the organisation including via line managers.
- Champions caring/carers internally and externally, including leading by example within your workplace and to other employers or your supply chain.
Click here for more details on the Carer Confident criteria.